Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Hope

Hope is a funny thing. As a mother, I feel like it is my job to have hope and optimism for my child and my family. However, as a person, I worry that hope will ultimately lead to having my heart crushed.

It's happened before. Infertility makes hope a pretty dirty word. I still cringe when I hear it.

Faith is different. I am getting pretty good at keeping faith for my family. I have faith that Little Bug will continue to grow and develop and be the best he can be. I have faith our family will weather whatever storms we face (not that we are currently really facing any). I have faith in Appa and I as parents. I have faith in our choice to adopt Little Bro.

But hope....hope scares me. I don't have total faith in hope.

Hope can buffer your heart from so much pain and sadness, but that buffer isn't based on anything other than abstract hope. There will come a time when the thing that is hoped for either does or doesn't materialize, and when that time comes, if it doesn't swing hope's way, the blow is devastating.

I never want to feel it again if I can help it.

Adoption is all about faith and hope. I'm really good at one and really crappy at the other. I've found myself feeling alienated by those who chose to hope for the impossible. I find myself unable to even entertain the idea of hope, even when it is dangled before me in a precarious half-official way.

I'm not better off for it, but it's the only way my mind works now.

So I struggle to pair my faith that things will work out, even if I don't like the way they go about working out, with my lack of hope in anything extraordinary. I try to remember that many of the extraordinary things I chose not to hope for actually DO happen. Hope would have been rewarded.

I want to raise my children to have faith and hope. I can only do that through example.

So today I am trying something new. A teeny bit of hope has sprouted in my heart. Hope that something extraordinary could possibly, just maybe happen. I'll only share this secret hope with Appa, and he can nurture it to.

And we'll see....

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great post. I never thought of it exactly that way, but I feel the same way. Hope and faith are definitely two very different concepts that are often linked. I "hope" that your hope is rewarded:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the difference between faith and hope is a beautiful concept. I think faith can give you such amazing peace. But hope, hope can give you happiness in what is to come as well as what already is. I loved your post. Have I mentioned you are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heavy post, Mama. But after reading it twice, you're totally right. I got sick of having 'hope' rammed down my throat. But 'faith'...I never lost her.
    I'm curious to this new hope though...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your daily dose of you....